How to setup "Open with" Squeak for images (jpeg etc)

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Nov 16 17:06:55 UTC 2003

Hi milan

> Thanks for your book link. I downloaded the "May2003Bot.pdf" version,
> it does
> not seem to have pages after pg. 82 which may be intentional (by the
> pg 99-111 has the Teacher's Corner) . From a quick overview, I REALLY
> like
> the book. I am a Java/C guy and never did any Samlltalk or Squeak
> coding so I
> am interested in buying the book - when is it going to be published?

soon I hope. I'm waiting for the final reviews and hope to get finished
soon after.
I will have to redo a lot of screenshots. But I want tot go fast so
early spring.

This is book is then written for you a programmer with kids :) (no in
fact for my wife :)))
I suggest you to take the previous pdf which contains exercises with
the turtle. There is a presentation of the
Squeak object model. Part of this book (the OOP for novices) will be
cut and put in another book.

There is also a quickref (syntax) for other programmers
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/Web/Books/Syntax.pdf

> My girls (both 12 now) and I are playing with Squeak as a toy and tool
> to do
> things they would normally do in other applications (not trying to
> force any
> coding upon them so far :-) ) Perhaps we should be describing our
> experiences
> in a blog somewhere ...

Sure please do!!!. I'm planning to have a wiki only for the book and
exchange of ideas between
readers and teachers.
My wife started a wiki at
http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/TurtleGallery/608 in french.