Putting squeak in business.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 01:29:52 UTC 2003

Hi Alan,

> 1. make a bootable, self-building (no more C) VM for a reasonably
> well-designed machine (that is not a PC). including a filesystem and
> interrupt driven IO.

Don't. Unless you have some constraints you haven't told us, use a minimal
Linux-Kernel and have Squeak sit on top of it. It's small, works well, and
has been done before (see Dan's wheather station). Even if your hardware is
out of the ordinary you still got a chance of the hardware people having (or
being willing to produce) functional Linux drivers. Total cost: Very Few
Bucks (tm).

> 2. make scamper W3C compliant and give it sufficient
> capabilities to be a viable if not prefferable alternative
> to Internet Exploder.

Duh. How much money are you willing to throw after that? I have no idea what
this may cost, not even in the ballpark range. Your guess is as good as
mine.

Cheers,
  - Andreas