The biological cell (was: Erlang)

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 07:34:43 UTC 2003

Hi Alan,

--- Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org> wrote:

> It's worthwhile contemplating that most bits in
> computers are dynamic
> relations between processes, so "state" is really a
> kind of process

I would say ... it's the contents of a stack frame.
:)  ahh, of course!  That's true whether it be a
reference to an object or to an integer.

> .... Quite a few of the ideas in Special Relativity
> on "how one knows
> about things going on" apply to these ideas.

Could you tell me a bit more about this, please?  It
sounds very interesting...

> >   The power is not the stuff, it's what's
> >between the stuff.
>
> The Japanese call this "ma".

I hope to learn more as my life continues.

> >I have often wondered what the world's simpliest
> >Smalltalk evaluator would look like, with no vm,
> just
> >an eval loop.
>
> The first one I did for Smalltalk in Sept '72 is
> pretty small (less
> than a page). There is a sketch of it in one of the
> Appendices of the
> "Early History of Smalltalk" paper. It was
> influenced by the Lisp one
> on the bottom of page 13 of the Lisp 1.5 manual (but
> I did ST-72
> assuming a nonrecursive base to make it a little
> more as though it
> were running on a conventional machine). Dan Ingalls
> did a brilliant
> job of making it really real. This could be quite a
> bit smaller if
> done a little differently.

That would be awesome to get those published to SM.
The first smalltalk machine, ever.  Thank you.

> Think about what true and false are in Smalltalk.
> And what objects
> are. You can easily synthesize arithmetic without
> needing any tables.

yep, I checked again.  I actually suggested table
lookup for addition of integers.  Let's see, for
squeak SmallIntegers of 31 bytes of representation,
that would be 4.6E18 slots, and at 4 bytes each, I
would need 1.8E13 MB of ram.   But then there are
those pesky multiplication tables...

> >  I would want to use it to help me see
> >all the way down to the bottom.
>
> This is always a good idea. For Smalltalk-80 though,
> I'd recommend
> the beautiful version (using byte codes) in the
> Appendix of Dan
> Ingall's '78 POPL paper on Smalltalk-76. This is a
> pretty neat one
> pager.

awesome, I found it here:
http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/St76/Smalltalk76ProgrammingSystem.html
.  :)  It's dead simple.  I guess to start it, you
need to set a top object, then send a message to it.

> >   Lisp books typically
> >have these kinds of examples.
> >
> >The real eye-opener, for me, is that the complete
> >algebra for this system is just the msg send, isn't
> >it?  That is the only computation within this space
> >that takes place.
>
> That's the frame. The algebra is the choices of
> "polymorphisms" in
> the base design.

oh, of course (looks around)...

> The term "fields" here is used differently. And the
> compact form of
> Maxwell's equations as we know them today is due to
> Hertz, who used
> "operators" like div, grad, and curl to collapse
> many separate
> differential forms.

oh, yes I remember those, and they are easy once you
know how those operators work.  Sadly, I have
forgotten.

Cheers,
Rob