Putting squeak in business.

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Mon Nov 17 07:50:41 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Avoiding C might be more trouble than it is worth.

I agree. For an embedded SqueakMachine, I'd use Linux+current VM. It's a
negligible amount of overhead, and suddenly it'll run on most hardware
you care to throw at it.

>THat's a scary spec to ponder. My guess is LOTS of work. Think how many
>people work on the big browsers.

Well, I'd imagine that starting from scratch and doing a *clean* HTML
4.STRICT with CSS support browser (which is, as far as I'm concerned, is
the W3C spec) is a reasonable amount of work (couple of months, I'd
guess). Don't forget, Tim, that all these teams are working in C/C++ ;-)

It gets hard when you want to render all the obsolete garbage that is
out there - that would indeed bump up my estimate to "whatever you've
got in your pocket"...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,