Unicode support (File names was Re: Warning: Large Babeltranslation)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:25:23 UTC 2003

>   For example, imagine Unix VM.  The one running on Japanese Unices
> (typically uses EUC-jp) has to do different conversion from the one on
> Korean Unices (typically uses EUC-kr).
>
>   Same as Windows VM.  Currently it uses Shift-JIS on Japanese
> Windows, etc.  If the VM implementors have to take care of all of
> those encoding support, it would be too much burden for them.  If
> you're, say, from Vietname, and want to add VISCII support, you have
> to wait for the maintainer compile the VM, or how the maintainer feel
> sure what he is doing is right?

iconv supports all four of these formats: EUC-jp, EUC-kr, Shift-JIS, and
VISCII.  So if the maintainer uses  iconv they will feel great.  That
web page, again, is:

	http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

I finally understand your point now about code duplication in the
various VM's, but that can be fixed by using C libraries such
as iconv.

The rest of the stuff I just don't get.  I'll stop now instead
of speculating; maybe seeing the generality of iconv
is enough to rest the case.

-Lex