[FIX] initializeProtoFix-md

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Nov 18 14:41:13 UTC 2003

Am 18.11.2003 um 16:32 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

> marcus at ira.uka.de wrote:
>
>> from preamble:
>> "Change Set:		initializeProtoFix-md
>> Date:			18 November 2003
>> Author:			Marcus Denker
>> This changeset just moves the empty implementation of
>> 'initialize' from Object to ProtoObject. This allows to
>> do a 'ProtoObject new' without getting an error."!
>> --
> This is probably against the intention of the person who put
> initialize there. ProtoObjects are  not considered to be created. At
> least there is none in my image.

I should have added that I discussed that with Noury and Stef.

With "new" sending initialize by default, I think ProtoObject is the
right place
to catch it. Keep in mind that
a) "ProtoObject new" used to work, and now it doesn't.
b)  Without adding this to protoObject, it would have to be added to
*every* subclass
       (or you'd have to implement new to not send it). This tells me
that it lives better
      in ProtoObject than in every subclass of it.

     Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de