[TFNR] Looking for maintainers!

Adam Spitz adspitz at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 19 08:36:44 UTC 2003

So we've spent a week staking out various packages in the Basic
image, making tools to help support people in the new packagized
world, and generally talking about the implications of all of this.
We're not quite done with that stuff yet, but we're bored, so we
think it's time to start actually getting people to take charge of
these packages.

I don't know what the official rules will be for package
maintainers, but I think the goal is that for a package that's
still part of the Basic image, the maintainer(s) will be allowed to
approve changesets related to that package. (I'm hoping, though,
that the first act of a lot of the maintainers will be to put in a
cleanup changeset and then start maintaining the package separately
on SqueakMap.)

I'm not really sure how this maintainer-finding process will end up
working. Probably what'll happen is that we'll mostly just end up
officially recognizing a bunch of "big name" people. But what I'm
*hoping* will happen is that a bunch of less-well-known people will
pop up and say, "Hey, can I be a co-maintainer for that?" or "Can I
have this little part of that?" or "Why is nobody volunteering?
I'll maintain that, if nobody else wants to." So please please
please don't be shy about volunteering, OK? You don't need to be a
wizard; you just need to have interest and good intentions and some
spare time.

If you're wondering what packages are out there, take a look at the
TFNR whiteboard at http://anakin.bluefish.se:8080 (username
'guest', password ''). Nothing there is set in stone; if you'd like
things to be divided differently, say so.

Anyway, let's start slowly. Here are a few easy ones and a few
small ones:

Babel: Diego?

Balloon (maybe without the TrueType and Flash stuff): Andreas? Or
do you not want the hassle? :)

Flash: Who's interested? This is one that can be easily split off
from the main image and put onto SqueakMap.

Genie: I think this one is Ned's (and Nathanael's too?).

Graphics-Files: This one's reasonably small, and seems like it
ought to be separately-maintainable from the rest of Graphics.

Movies: Also fairly small, and easy to split off from the main
image.

Volunteers?

Adam