Yet Another Dependency Proposal: Packages and PackageVersions, that is it

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Wed Nov 19 19:09:21 UTC 2003

Simon Michael wrote:
>> (note: If you go this route you will also start looking for using
>> booleans so you would really have liked to say:
>>     Apple 1.1 depends on Banana 1.0 and (Orange 1.0 or Orange 1.1)
>> ...which is what Debian's package system does. Personally I do not want
>

> Debian allows you to say: Apple 1.1 depends on Orange >=1.0. This is
> frequently used in practice.

Well we can infer that ourselves.  You can't really make the statement
that it will work with any version greater than 1.0 because you have no
idea what is going to change.  The dependency resolver, however, can
look at the configurations that are known to work and look at the
versions between the newest and the working one to see how major the
changes have been (Göran was planning to have you mark versions based on
how backwards compatible the changes were).  We can then make (or allow
the user to make) reasonable assumptions about whether the newer version
is likely to work.

Julian