squeak machines (was: Putting squeak in business.)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 20 04:50:46 UTC 2003

Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> Brian already gave you a good link, but I can't resist commenting that
> you can't download a "machine" over the internet. You have to either
> personally go somewhere where they have a working model or find a movie
> of one in action. Unfortunately, doing a search in the video part of
> Altavista didn't get me any results.

Funny you would say that.  My understading is that one of the best ways
to get a "Lisp Machine" is to get an DEC Alpha plus a Lisp Machine
emulator.

But that's not the really funny part.  The really funny part is that it
doesn't actually matter whether Squeak is sitting right on top of the
hardware or not.  The important part (IMHO) is whether you can do OS-y
things like run programs and save objects into files, and that's the
part to concentrate on for anyone goes after it.

-Lex