Unicode support (File names was Re: Warning:Large Babel translation)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Nov 20 21:59:22 UTC 2003

  Andreas,

> So it seems that the _only_ realistic way of making progress in this area is
> to go with what I proposed all along. Namely: Have the VM report the
> encoding it wants to use but shoot for (and keep in mind) a common encoding
> such as UTF-8.

  Actually, Lex and I seems to agree that we'll want to have a way to
set the VM's encoding, not only the image the the report from the VM,
from the image for certain platforms.  On Windows, it can still go
without it for some time.  But on Mac OS X, which *can* be UTF-8
based, the new VM has to behave as if it is the same old MacRoman VM
for the old images sake, or has to behave as if UTF-8 aware, based on
the image running on it.  As far as I know, Hayashi-san is working on
this implementation.

> All other discussions, regardless of how well-meant they are and regardless
> of how good the intentions are seem just pointless to me. You can't just
> declare that things are going "that way" unless you have the committment
> from all of the maintainers to do it that way. Which you don't.

  Yes.  To ease the burden on VM maintainers, who are after all
outnumbered by Squeak image level programmers, we want to do some
stuff in image.

-- Yoshiki