FTP performance in FileList

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Nov 20 22:41:22 UTC 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 1:55 pm, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> This may have all been hashed over in the past, but I'm wondering why FTP
> from the FileList is so slow.  Exceptfor some sort of logic problem, I
> don't see any reason why Squeak shouldn't be pretty zippy, and yet the
> response time I see is slow for a banana slug, and often won't even
> complete simple stores.
>
> It's my preferred way to manage lots of files out on the Internet, so it
> would make a difference to me if it worked a bit better.
>
> Curious
> 	- Dan
>
> Oh, yes.  I'm using a fully updated 3.6

I posted a number of stream-related improvements to the FileList that weren't
in 3.6 but are in 3.7. It's possible that some of those changes have sped
things up. For just reading files, the FileList in 3.6 seems as fast as raw
operations.

What are you doing in the FileList? Copying or moving files?

As far as raw operations go, I see Squeak (3.7) being faster than my
command-line FTP client:

t _ Time millisecondsToRun: [
	c _ ((ServerDirectory serverNamed: 'bikeNomad') fileNamed: 't017.pdf')
contentsOfEntireFile ].

t 7230
c size / t asFloat 67.6307053941909

command-line client:

$ time lftp  bike-nomad.com -e 'get t017.pdf; quit'
485391 bytes transferred in 8 seconds (62.5K/s)

real    0m7.693s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.010s

Could you try a command like that and see if the performance is better than
what you'd experienced in the FileList?