Creating images pixel by pixel fast

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Nov 21 05:17:30 UTC 2003

On Nov 21, 2003, at 12:05 AM, Joel Shellman wrote:

> I profiled the Raytracing package example just for fun and found
> something interesting.
>
> Even if all the calculations had taken 0 time, it looks like it still
> would have taken over 8 seconds just to create the image with the
> pixels.
>
> Isn't there some way of creating an image pixel by pixel very fast?
> Any examples of how that would be done?

Hmm, very good point.  Most of that goes to #bitPokerToForm:, and I
don't see why we have to do that every time.  For example:

form := Form extent: 640 at 480 depth: 32
poker := BitBlt current bitPokerToForm: c.
MessageTally spyOn:
	[1 to: 640 do:
		[:x |
		1 to: 480 do:
			[:y |
			poker
				pixelAt: x at y
				put: (Color red pixelValueForDepth: 32)]]]

Now to take advantage of this in the Raytracer...

Avi