[unix][vm] UNIX VM for use with 3.7alpha image?

Michael Roberts mike at mjr104.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 09:38:11 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:58:20PM -0600, Mark A. Schwenk wrote:
> So I rebuilt the UNIX VM on Fedora Core 1, with all plugins internal,
Depending on what plugins you are using, they can't all be internal.  OSProcessPlugin and XDisplay want to be external at the moment.

You can look at Ian's current plugin setup at
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/
in the file vmm.config.  (thanks to someone who pointed this out on the list.) I haven't needed to look at this yet but I think you use VMMaker to load it up.

> using the following hints and had problems linking until I added
> $(X_LIBS) into the squeak link line.

hmm.  Did configure spot your X paths correctly?  There are various options in configure --help.  I'm not sure if that is needed.  You shouldn't normally need to alter the makefile as it is generated from the configure magic.

> $ diff ../Makefile.orig Makefile
> 189c189
> <       $(LINK) $(squeak) $(SQLIBS) version.o $(LIBS)  vm/vm.a
> ---
> >       $(LINK) $(squeak) $(SQLIBS) version.o $(X_LIBS) $(LIBS)  vm/vm.a

hmm. interesting.

> At Michael's suggestion, I looked on http://people.squeakfoundation.org
> but couldn't find any related diary entries or articles.

sorry I was in a rush.  That wasn't very helpfull.

http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/KenCausey/

I'm glad from you second post that it now works! but that doesn't explain why it didn't work the first time...

Cheers

Mike