Patches for 3.6 (was Re: FTP performance in FileList)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 21 23:50:11 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Thursday 20 November 2003 2:40 pm, Michael Rueger wrote:
>

>>Dan Ingalls wrote:
>>

>>>Oh, yes.  I'm using a fully updated 3.6
>>>

>>I think in 3.6 there are still some bugs in the network rewrite left
>>addressed with a couple of updates in the 3.7 stream.
>>Which suggests we should publish those updates for 3.6 as well?
>>
>>Guides?
>>

>That could be a good idea, but I think in Dan's case it's problems with the
>FileList. I tried the same transfer (using the RemoteFileStream itself, not
>the FileList) in 3.6 and it was just as fast.

Do you think your FileList fixes would be worth adding as a patch to
3.6?  If they are very simple and have proven to be stable so far in
3.7alpha, it might be worth it.

Also, there are the "Dummy Babel" 3.6 patches which Diego posted which
sound like a good idea, so we could release them at the same time.  (And
maybe informally call the patched release "3.6.1", but it doesn't
necessarily need to be a formal SystemVersion name.)

Anyway, perhaps Dan should try his slow ftp operations in the FileList
with 3.7alpha, just to verify that it's faster in 3.7.

- Doug