[BUG] Updates slow down dramatically after 5501

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Nov 22 00:13:22 UTC 2003

Andreas Raab wrote:

>Hi Doug,
>

>>When loading updates from the beginning of 3.7alpha, after
>>update #5501 (recreate special objects array), the updates
>>slow down dramatically.
>>

>Not for me. I just updated all the way through and didn't find anything
>noticable. The updates whooshed along at regular speed and I was done in
>maybe five minutes.

Hmm!

>>However, this only happens as long as you haven't saved &
>>restarted your image. Once you do this, or if you start with
>>a fresh post-5501 image from the ftp site, updates are fast
>>again.
>>

>That sounds weird. Have tried this a couple of times? Maybe the server was
>just slow - I updated (twice) from the European update server (which is
>right around the corner) and both times it went smoothly and fast.

Well, it turns out you are right about the server, mostly.  For some
reason, the European update server is fast for me too, but the
"non-European" server (update.squeakfoundation.org, which Cees maintains
and may actually be based in Europe) consistently slows way down after
5501.  (I've tried it four times now.)  *All* of the post-5501 updates
take exactly 20 seconds (or slightly more if they're big) to download.
Very odd.  I'm not sure what would be different between the two servers.

Hmmm, looking at the debugger right now, I notice the list of
(non-European) update servers still includes uiuc (which hasn't worked
in a long time) in addition to update.squeakfoundation.org.  Perhaps
after 5501 it is trying uiuc first for some reason and timing out.  I
can play with this more tonight by removing uiuc from the servers list
to see if that helps.

(Also, I'm using the slightly old 3.5.1 (Jun 21 2003) Windows VM, on
Windows XP.  I'll try from home on Mac OS X to see if there's any
difference.)

- Doug