deficience in Squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 22 01:47:25 UTC 2003

> You can still accept anyway. But it's a drag that the system
> often tries to help so intrusively. This is one of the things
> I like least in Squeak.

Actually, the system is merely telling you that (so far) no method by the
name exists. More often than not this is because of a misspelling and I find
the correction feature to be incredibly useful. Can't remember the spelling?
Don't worry - just accept. The system is going to tell you what this method
was called. etc.

> Recently I defined a class X and gave it a class instance variable. A
> message popped up saying something like "X is an existing class in the
> system, changing it is not recommended. Proceed anyway?".
> Turns out there was nothing special going on anyway (at least not that
> I've noticed).

What it means is that you were defining a NEW class where one with the same
name already existed in some other category. Typically this is a lethal
problem - I would go sofar as to claim that the browser shouldn't allow this
at all. What you're doing in this case is dumping an existing class
definition because there's no way for you to see that class' definition at
the point where you change it.

Cheers,
  - Andreas