Unicode support (File names wasRe: Warning:Large Babel translation)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 22 10:48:53 UTC 2003

Hi Yoshiki,

>   Actually, Lex and I seems to agree that we'll want to have a way to
> set the VM's encoding, not only the image the the report from the VM,
> from the image for certain platforms.  On Windows, it can still go
> without it for some time.  But on Mac OS X, which *can* be UTF-8
> based, the new VM has to behave as if it is the same old MacRoman VM
> for the old images sake, or has to behave as if UTF-8 aware, based on
> the image running on it.  As far as I know, Hayashi-san is working on
> this implementation.

To be honest, I don't like this particular idea at all. If we assume that
the VMs must support a variety of encodings then it makes the implementation
even more complex for no clear gain. While I can see that for some interim
period the VM may indeed support multiple encodings I don't really see that
as a long-term viable option. There's just too much work involved with no
clear benefit.

>   Yes.  To ease the burden on VM maintainers, who are after all
> outnumbered by Squeak image level programmers, we want to do some
> stuff in image.

Right. So once more let's start this with The Simplest Thing That Could
Possibly Work. Namely a primitive by which the VM can report the encoding it
is currently using. From there on, about everything can be done in the
image. If we want to play smarts at the VM level we may even use that
primitive to distinguish between an "encoding-aware" image (one sending the
primitive would be assumed to be able to cope with the encoding) as well as
old images which don't know nothing.

Cheers,
  - Andreas