deficience in Squeak

Peter van Rooijen squeak at vanrooijen.com
Sat Nov 22 10:54:07 UTC 2003

From: "Scott Wallace" <scott.wallace at squeakland.org>
> >  >> What is more, if a new method contains
> >  >> unknown methods, which will be defined in the future,
> >  >> then it can not be accepted. I think it is not convinient for
> >  >> developing application.
> >  >
> >>  You can still accept anyway. But it's a drag that the system often
tries to
> >  > help so intrusively. This is one of the things I like least in
Squeak.

> >That's actually one of the features of Squeak I really like...it
> >frequently saves me from mis-spelled selectors. In other dialects, I
> >often don't find such mis-spellings until I start testing my code.
>
> ...and with a couple of minutes of effort, anyone who considers the
> spellchecker too intrusive can easily disable it.  Though it's hard
> to imagine how anyone's squeaking life could ever be better without
> the spellchecker than with it.

This is not the issue. I love spell-check. Spell-check is great. I would
turn it on if it wasn't the default.

What I don't like is the intrusiveness. Popping up a menu, which can't even
be operated with the keyboard, forcing you to reach for the mouse and click
something before you can continue.

Squeak has a lot of what Bertrand Meyer calls "Gotcha Panels". Things that
force you to stop your activity and respond to the system (often you must
use the mouse, too).

This is understandable when you logically must make a choice or even when
you are about to do something that is potentially disastrous, but there are
much better ways of providing help when it's simple information or a mere
warning.

Doesn't the Morphic framework make it easy/achievable to pop up a panel that
can simply be ignored (and it if detects being ignored, closes itself)?

For the specific issue of spell-check, color coding is a very unintrusive
way of signaling undefined selectors. It also doesn't limit the signaling to
one moment in time, the moment you save a method.

But a small list or an area that lights up could do the job more
unintrusively as well.

Regards,

Peter