Focus-follows-mouse and pass-window-activation-click

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 22 10:58:06 UTC 2003

> The two major annoyances to me in Squeak are that the above things
> aren't possible.

Oh, well. They certainly are possible.

> For clarity:
> - pass window activation click: if you click on a window, the
> window is activated and the click is passed on for further
> processing. So with a single click, you activate the window
> and press a button, or start scrolling, whatever;

If you want it, change SystemWindow>>mouseDown: along the lines of

SystemWindow>>mouseDown: evt
	TopWindow == self ifFalse:
		[evt hand releaseKeyboardFocus.
		self activate.
		self processEvent: evt copy resetHandlerFields].

(the last line has been added) And just for the records - I think this
really stinks ;)

> - focus follows mouse: the window under the mouse is active, with
>   possibly a slight delay. From this follows auto-raise, where the
>   active window is automatically brought to the foreground after a
>   configurable time interval.

Don't like this either, but the following will do what you want:

SystemWindow>>mouseEnter: evt
	self activate.

Cheers,
  - Andreas