using RegularExpressions for matching (was Re: deficience in Squeak)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sat Nov 22 21:09:24 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Surely you mean the "Full" release?  I thought we were supposed to be
> taking things *out* of the "Basic" release.

My understanding is:

1. Full is almost what say 3.5 is, but may grow with more stuff we think
is simply too good to be missed. But Full (like Basic) is not an image -
it is the result of installing a list of additional packages on top of
Basic.

2. Basic is not an image either in fact! Basic is actually the sum of
the shrinking image and a list of packages being installed on top of it.
It is also the thing that the update stream is maintaining.

3. Minimal (I think we agreed to call it, or was it Kernel?) is the
image with all SM packages NOT installed.

So, IMHO this means that we surely can add stuff to Basic, as long as we
add them *as packages* and thus not enlarging the Minimal image. This is
generally done by issuing an update that simply installs it from SM.

And the above has been a problem with SM1.x, but with SM2 it works fine
because it can refer to a specific release and not just "the release
currently on SM". This means it doesn't matter when the update is loaded
- which is very important.

regards, Göran