using RegularExpressions for matching (was Re: deficience in Squeak)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 24 04:19:29 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> Surely you mean the "Full" release?  I thought we were supposed to be
> taking things *out* of the "Basic" release.
Well, I don't know about that. I think I would like to urge at least
considering the inclusion of regexp stuff in the base system (for some
defintition of base system that I don't want to get distracted by right
now) because quite a lot of tools could benefit from using it.

For example, the find facility in paragraph editor would be much more
useful. Searching for matching selectors might be faster and/or more
useful. Filename parsing would probably benefit. Hell, it might even be
useful in the Parser classes for compiling code. Maybe it would tie-in
to the Stream peek/upTo protocols?

Now I have to admit that this is all based on glorious ignorance and
supposition - but we've never let that stop us before. The decision
ought to be based on things like - can it be made use of in the sort of
multiple places I suggest, how big is it really, does it work really
well and does it make my butt look fat?

tim
Useful random insult:- Couldn't pour water out of a boot with
instructions on the heel.