[TFNR][REPORT]Where are we?!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Nov 24 09:35:57 UTC 2003

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > What? Please remember - SM is package format agnostic. Let me repeat -
> > package format agnostic.
> >
> > If you want a "stuff everything in a single file"-format - then use a
> > SAR. That problem was solved a long time ago.
>
> But if I have three sar packages I will have to code the dependencies
> between them by hand
> and what I need as user is :	a package system with dependencies that
> with which I can deliver my code.

Well, IMHO SM is turning into exactly that "a package system with
dependencies that with which I can deliver my code".

But you are asking me for a "single file" package format in which you
can stuff your sars and send it to someone - and that is not how SM2
will work. Personally I think such a mechanism is less interesting.

If you look at Debian (or any other distro btw) they don't have such a
mechanism. Each package is in a file on its own. And 99% of all the
packages I install in Debian are installed using:

	apt-get install <packagename>

Which resolves dependencies, downloads all needed package files and
unpacks/install them etc. Which is also what SM2 will be able to do
eventually. And nowhere in this process is there a "compound package
file" involved.

But if you (or anyone else) want to spend time on it then why don't you
simply create a "SAR wizard" that can take a bunch of SM packages as
input and generate a compound SAR including a load script.

If you want to force 13 specific package releases in a specific order
onto the person you are sending it to - then that is surely what you
want to do. But I don't want to do that with SM2.

Please enlighten me if I am missing the point here.

regards, Göran