[TFNR][REPORT]Where are we?!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:56:21 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> If you look at Debian (or any other distro btw) they don't have such a
> mechanism. Each package is in a file on its own. And 99% of all the
> packages I install in Debian are installed using:
>
> 	apt-get install <packagename>
>
> Which resolves dependencies, downloads all needed package files and
> unpacks/install them etc.

This is 99% true.  Even though people mostly use apt-get, they can still
install individual packages and get the dependencies chacked.  Both
Debian and RedHat packages know their own dependency information.  When
you try to load a bare package, the system will check these
dependencies, and if there is a problem it will tell you specifically
what packages you need to add, remove, or upgrade.

We don't have to do it the same way in Squeak, but experience shows that
it does seem to work out okay.

-Lex