[TFNR] Looking for maintainers!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 25 10:37:48 UTC 2003

Hi Diego!

<diegogomezdeck at consultar.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys...
>
> [snip]
> > Volunteers?
>
> I want to postulate myself to be the maintainer (or one of the maintainers)
> of eToys and to be the "assembler" (or one of the assemblers) of the Full-
> Image.

This all sounds great to me.

> eToys:
>
> The initial set of goals I want to push in eToys are the followings:
>
> - Synchronize the Squeakland's image with the "big" one.  The eToys in
> Squeakland's image evolved and these changes are not in the big image.
>
> - Make eToys translatable with Babel. It means to remove the current
> translation mechanism and replace it by Babel.
>
> - Coordinate the work with "Squeaklanders" to keep the 2 versions
> synchronized.
>
> - Expand eToys to cover more morphs and more functionality.
> -- Example: InternalThreadNavigatorMorph has to be scriptable from eToys to
> create active essays with complex navigation flows, etc.
> -- All the multimedia morphs has to be fully scriptable from eToys.

Sidenote: Don't you think Squeakland and Smallland can both be hosted on
top of "Full" (or perhaps even yet another level up above Full)? It
seems such a waste that Squeakland today is more or less a fork.

> MediaSqueak (aka Full-Image):
>
> For the Full-Image the goal is to make this distribution
> the "MediaSqueak".  The full image has to include all the media stuff
> available in SM (Connectors, More graphics files support, Video Processing,
> TTF, etc).  Also the full image has to include all the languages available
> for Babel and some good initial look&feel.
>
> Since SqC moves away we're working to have less in the image I think we
> need somebody that can take care of giving more in the full-image.

Yes, or depending on what we want "Full" to be - we might even want to
have these levels (I am just rambling here so don't get upset):

Basic - you know, as little you need to still be able to work and get
more. :)
Full - a pretty packed distro but still without a special focus.
Media - adds lots of packages to Full turning it into a multimedia
focused distro.

Anyway, I just mentioned this. Perhaps it is smarter to simply have
Basic/Full. Not sure.

> What can I offer:
>
> Since January/2004 (or before) I'll have a full-time job with Squeak
> working with the folks from LinEx project.  Just now we're using a
> customized 3.5 based image (The Small-Land's one).
>
> My plan is to combine these 2 projects and build the Small-Land image on
> top of the full one.

As I said - the community would be pretty "daft" not to give you this
trust. IMHO of course.
You have the knowledge and the enthusisasm for sure.

> I'd like to hear your opinions...
>
> Cheers,

Cheers, Göran

PS. Adam, you are taking notes right? :)