Mac VM 3.7.0b1

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Nov 27 04:52:55 UTC 2003

I've pushed a Mac VM 3.7.0b1 for testing to

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/

Squeak 3.7.0Beta1.app.sit

It contains:

a) the fix for using 2.8.x image and getting mouse clicks in the right
place.
b) 8bit monitor support
c)  Changes for the "m17n" package fromTetsuya HAYASHI
<tetha at st.rim.or.jp> so one can type Kanji characters.

d) Most importantly you can alter the application's Info.plist and set
the SqueakEncodingType between 0 to 4
to signify

MacRoman = 0,
WindowsLatin1 = 1, /* ANSI codepage 1252 */
ISOLatin1 = 2, /* ISO 8859-1 */
Unicode = 3
UTF8 = 4

This then alters what the VM returns for the vmPath name, the image
name, the image path name,
the "SecurityManager default untrustedUserDirectory", "SecurityManager
default secureUserDirectory"
and of course file name/path names that come out of or go into the VM.

Pending is to rework the path name lengths and file name lengths to
reflect reality a bit better, so I've not yet posted the source code
changes.

I'll welcome folks who use languages other than USA english to check
for issues.
Hint file names/folder names with interesting characters in UTF8 mode
come to mind.

PS I suspect picking Unicode won't get you very far, it occurs to me
that I'd bet that some strcpy
logic lurks and the high zero byte in unicode will truncate things.. Oh
well, that's tomorrow's fight.

===