VM file name character encoding support (pending)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Nov 28 06:51:52 UTC 2003

  John,

  Adding those functions may be ok.  I would prefer the IANA encoding
names over the magic numbers, though.

> This allows plugins, like the mpeg plugin to accept a file name from
> the VM and know what to do
> with it before issuing the file open by asking the VM what the encoding
> is. It also of course allows
> a programmer the ability to see and choose an encoding to use within
> the Image.

  Having different internal encoding wouldn't be a good idea.  Such
plugin shouldn't bother to translate the file names passed.

> What is unclear, but could be defined is how to deal with existing path
> information, such as the vmpath
> once you switch encoding. I suppose you could leave that information in
> native platform format and
> return a converted value  based on the currently chosen encoding.

  Is the info like VM path used before the image becomes *live* and
take the control?  Using somewhat native encoding for VM path,
etc. sounds make sense to me.

-- Yoshiki