VM file name character encoding support (pending)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Nov 28 21:35:53 UTC 2003

  John,

  I would also say that you wouldn't need to have more than MacRoman
UTF-8, and probably "no-conv", even though the Mac OS X API seems to
provide dozens of encodings.

  Also, I don't think the VM doesn't have to compose the composable
Unicode values.  I've got an impression from Hayashi-san that the
native "encoding" of Mac OS X is normalized to decomposed Unicode.
The image should be able to compose those if necessary, and if the
image passes precomposed string, the Mac OS X API should take care of
it.

  Adding those little stuff would be a good step towards making the
main stream Squeak multilingualized, but having the VM that does too
much stuff, and incompatible change at the image level with the m17n
package will definitely hurt.

-- Yoshiki