[TFNR] Looking for maintainers!

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Sat Nov 29 09:42:34 UTC 2003

Hi Doug,

> > MediaSqueak (aka Full-Image):
[...]
> I guess there are a couple of aspects to being in charge of the Full Image:
>
> 1. Deciding which packages should be part of the Full release.  There
> are a number of things which would be good to add (Connectors, etc.),
> and occasionally something needs to be removed (such as PWS).  These
> would of course stay as packages on SqueakMap and would be added to the
> "Upgrade to Full" script, but would not be added to the update stream.
> But they would be in the Full image download for 3.7 and future releases.

I full agree. IMO, this is part of the job of the full-image maintainer.

The idea is that the community participates in the discussion but the
final decision is made by the maintainer.

If the community doesn't like the final decisions, the maintainer can be
fired but while the maintainer is in charge he/she has the last word.

I think this is the only way to decide and do something.

> 2. Working on the appearance and runtime content of the Full release
> image itself (as opposed to the packages/source code).  For example,
> right now, the 3.6 final release looks a lot like the 3.4 & 3.2
> releases, except for some updates to the Welcome window.  Lots of other
> things could be updated/improved, such as the projects which appear in
> Worlds of Squeak, etc.  I didn't have much time to work on this myself,
> since I was more focused on maintaining the update stream.

I thinks the best way is to create another area... something like
"Squeak Content & Look".

> So, if you want to take responsibility for #2, that would be great.

I can be also the maintainer of the area in the beginning, but this area
can be easily splited-off if somebody wants to take this responsibility.

> And
> you could also be in charge of #1 if you'd like, although this would
> involve more coordination with the Guides & the community when deciding
> which packages should be in or out.

Sure.

> As you said in another message, I think keeping Full the same as the
> Media release is a good idea for now.

I feel the same.

> - Doug

Cheers,