An '*?%&$' mood

raymondasselin at sympatico.ca raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 29 20:32:25 UTC 2003

1. Can somebody explains what to do (is there something to do?)  when you install a package
from SM and there is undefined classes lists on the Transcript window?

Like :
 (SixxXmlUtil is Undeclared)  (SixxXmlUtil is Undeclared)  (SixxXmlUtil is Undeclared)
(SixxXmlParseError is Undeclared)  (SixxSetting is Undeclared)  (SixxXmlUtil is Undeclared)
(VWXMLXMLParser is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)
(SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)
(SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)  (SixxMockBinaryData is Undeclared)
(SixxMockBinaryData is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)
(SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)
(SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)
(SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)  (SixxMockClassForUnitTest is Undeclared)

2. And what to do with UndefinedObject    when trying to install Refactoring Browser !

My image is 3.7 5566  and I want to try SmallWiki so I started with a clean 3.7 image...

===========

3. I must say that lots of things are  harder to get together with Squeak from 3.6.  It seems to
me that this was'nt the case with the 3.5 release.  Few examples:

- At Job in WinNT4.0  I can't bring a 3.5 Squeak project (.pr) in 3.6 Squeak when trying to save
it and load it in a 3.6 image there are problems.
- It is the same when trying to save a 'drawing' in Connectors to be able to load it in a 3.6
image, or 3.7 one.
- Recently there was problems with the MacOSX 10.3  and the VM
- There is or was problem whith  filePath in Mac don't know if this is fix, nor in which vm or
image it is fix, nor if I need to install a patch and which in which image.
- When I tried to use new version of Seaside with 3.6 Squeak, Seaside had changed, Comanche
had changed, some package on SM try to load a Seaside version not anymore served....
- Did you tried to load BFAV to understand it and see if you can help in a minimal way the
Squeak community...I don't know how it is now but two weeks ago this was a mess...
...so......fewwwww...!!!

So:
- projects from image to image is'nt stable..
- 'drawings' from image to image is'nt stable...(may be it is the same problem...don't know).
- using SM is'nt stable yet (I know Göran.. the SM2 will be...). No, -- backtracking --,  SM is
stable but the documentation which say explicitly which package is a prerequisite an what is
the loading order is'nt, so for the end user this is the same: the experience is'nt stable.

In fact I lost at least 30 hours to try few things in Squeak and nothing was working the first
time and often I did'nt know how to solve the problem.  I don't mind about these hours but i'm
a bit 'lost', I don't think it is possible to master all aspect of Squeak to use it, and I don't think
I should understand it all to use it.

BTW, I know what have been done in Squeak from 2.2  image, and thats a lot.  In fact what is
frustrating is'nt new 'alpha' stuff, it is the old one that didn't function any more in new version
of Squeak.   A part of the problem is mine as I should have been signaling every bug as a bug
to the community, but this is time consuming when english is your first langage, and even
more when it is not...this is why I tried to load and use BFAV.

=========
Conclusion:
- the effort to identify 'maintainers' for differents parts of Squeak will be a big improvment.  I
think that I now, master Smalltalk sufficiently to help but not to be a lead maintainer.
- the SM2 is an absolute necessity (I know SM2 alpha is there but did'nt check it yet).
- Sorry...I was in a   '*?%&$'   mood.    Let come back to Squeaking.

Raymond