SM 1.09 pending, more issues?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 1 09:33:03 UTC 2003

Hi all!

I am putting together a 1.09 release of SqueakMap. I have collected
postings for a while with issues and below is a summary of what I have
today. For you who know about a problem today - please check the list.

This version may possibly be registered initially as a separate package
so that we can do some beta testing on it before replacing 1.08. Some of
the changes have touched quite some code - though not "domain code" so
it would typically be UI issues.

regards, Göran

First some still known problems:

- Sitting behind a web proxy in a Squeak prior to 3.6 (the network
rewrite) still has an issue. If this annoys someone please holler!
(HTTPSocket>>httpGet: doesn't time out properly so I use a name lookup
first - which doesn't work behind a proxy - and I can't see if I have a
proxy because the method to check that came later...)

- Setting CrLfFileStream as StandardFileStream still doesn't work. FIX
is pending from Lex to get in (Can someone check BFAV for the status on
that? http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/squeak/1783720)

- Verisigns wildcard matching for .com and .net domains can cause a
misspelled server name in a downloadUrl to cause a HTML file to be
downloaded instead of the intended file... Funny eh? I hope they stop
with that nonsense.

Fixed sofar:

- #forPackage:directory: now throws error if no installer is found. This
affects SMSqueakMap methods #installPackageWithId:,
#installPackageNamed: and #upgradeOldPackagesDirectory: which now traps
this and informs the user. (still ignoring headless operation, will wait
until SM2)

Note that: SMLoader>>upgradeInstalledPackages doesn't catch this but who
uses that? :-). #installPackage and #downloadPackage don't either but
they aren't available in the menu unless there is an installer found to
deal with the selected package.

- Uses withBlanksTrimmed in lastTransactionInLog (makes it work better
with CrLfFileStreams I assume)

- SMInstaller generally now uses Exceptions instead of true/false logic
and callers now relies on Errors being signaled.

- Only use name resolving in SMSqueakMap class>>pingServer: in a Squeak
with version below network rewrite. The issue with proxies for older
Squeaks is thus ignored - people using proxyserver will just have to use
a 3.6 image. Ok? :-)

- Sightly smarter logic in synchWithLog (detecting missing directory AND
logfile)

- Better error handling in SMSqueakMap>>installPackageNamed: and
installPackageWithId: (typically used in scripts).

- Better error handling generally. Small patch pending for SM Package
Loader too. :-)

- Better error handling generally. Patch pending for SM Package Loader
so that install/download/upgrade/update map uses Exception handling
gracefully. :-)

- Improved DVS installer (that hopefully works now)

- DVS not installed in SqueakMap loadscript, MCInstaller takes its place
as new default.