[Q] Collectin lots of garbage

Martin Drautzburg martin.drautzburg at web.de
Wed Oct 1 17:50:22 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 11:16  PM, Martin Drautzburg wrote:
>
> > The reason I am asking is because I made the following observation:
> >
> > I compute the amount of garbage in the tree by counting all instances
> > of tree nodes and the number of tree nodes that are connected to the
> > root. The difference between the two numbers is the garbage. (I *know*
> > there are no other references from outside the tree).
> >
> > When I chop off a branch I can see the amount of garbage increase but
> > it remains garbage for at least many minutes (I haven't yet seen it
> > go, because I was always too imatient). When I select "space left"
> > from the world menu It sometimes returns instantly and sometimes it
> > takes about a minute. Then eventually the garbage is collected.
>
> "Space left" should do an incremental GC, and a full GC. But I'll need
> to ask which VM you
>
> are using, and which machine (Mhz & MB of real memory & image size)
> you  are running on just so we track this "minute" you refer to.

I compiled the vm myself

3.4-gamma1 #9 XShm Sun Jul 13 11:01:58 CEST 2003 gcc 2.95.4
Squeak3.5 of '11 April 2003' [latest update: #5180]
Linux beaureve 2.4.20 #2 Sat Jun 14 17:24:16 CEST 2003 i686
default plugin location: /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.4-gamma1/*.so

The machine is an Athlon 2000+ with 512 MB ram.
The image size is 19 MB