Information Environments for the 21st Century

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 2 14:51:23 UTC 2003

Welcome to the Squeak list Trygve!!
Its been a very long time since I crashed your demo machine at OOPSLA'86!
Great to have the father of MVC with us again.
Best Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

                      Trygve Reenskaug
                      <trygver at ifi.uio.no>                      To:       squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
                      Sent by:                                  cc:
                      squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfou        Subject:  Information Environments for the 21st Century
                      ndation.org

                      10/02/2003 09:52 AM
                      Please respond to The
                      general-purpose Squeak developers
                      list

Hi all,
I'm new to Squeak but old to Smalltalk (since 1978). My retirement project
is definitely "blue plane", and its scope is expanding at a frightening
rate. The short form: "What should the information systems of the 21st
century look like?"

The watchword should be that it should support the users' mental models,
including programming: "Put the user in the driver's seat"

Who is the user and what does his/her environment look like?
  1) A person in the role of a private citizen.
      Top level model: an object model holding his information
      as tangible objects
      (not a class model, which is a different kind of animal all together)
  2) A person in the role of a professional team member in an enterprise.
      Top level model: an object model holding his information as
      tangible objects and supporting his/her cooperation with others.
      (not a class model, which is a different kind of animal all together)
  3) A person in the role of an applications programmer
      Top level model: an object model holding his programs as
      tangible objects
      The "programming language" is basically a modelling language
      Rephrasing Alan:
       "A modelling language is what the programming language designers
        forgot to put into the language."
  4) A person in the role of a methodologist
      Top level model: an object model holding metaclass objects defining
      the above modelling/programming language
  5) A person in the role of visionary....
      Defining the meta-meta objects that form the methodologist's
      environment
      These objects are created by magic and have to be very stable.

The ideas are mainly from
  - Smalltalk "everything is represented as an object"
  - UML, with its meta-levels. An application model is an instance of UML,
       and UML is an instance of MOF.
  - The UML specification defines a complex class hierarchy. This hierarchy
       is simply a comment to the real substance; which is the objects that
       are instances of the defined classes.
  - Richard Pawson's Naked Objects project where information is presented
       the user as tangible objects.

and much more. Why should our meta-meta language restrict us to punched
card input and line printer output, i.e., BNF.

But the main point is that we have to leave the old life cycle:
"Code-Compile-Load-Run-Stop". The Smalltalk idea of a continuously
executing world of objects is clearly superior. (I belive the execution
thread of my current Squeak image started some time back in 1972).

I have done some experiments with an executing UML where I modified the
Smalltalk classes, meta-classes and meta-meta-classes to conform to the UML

architecture. Confusing, but informative.
See http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver/UML2.0-U2P/UML_VirtualMachine-131.pdf

The morphic architecture looks like an important step forward towards
tangible objects. It breaks with the ST-80 MVC, but does not seem to
greatly invalidate my original MVC from 1978. See the original proposal
here: http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver/mvc/index.html

Enjoy
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway