missed fix was: RE: Idea: "Timeout" submissions?

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 2 17:45:34 UTC 2003

Hernan Tylim <htylim at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Well, I know that you are speaking in general but I would like nevertheless
> to say that I don't expect anybody to fullfill any obligation or
> responsibility here. Specially the harvester (they're already doing a lot).
> Here all work is done voluntarily. And for that I wasn't mad that my fixes
> weren't reviewed and I think that nobody should be mad if their fixes are
> missed.
I appreciate that you understand the situation and are appropriately not
offended. However, this goes beyond the emotional aspects - as long as
the fix-review/test/approve-post-throughput is lower than the
fix-post-throughput, not all posted fixes will be processed in any
specific finite time. This is a direct result of people's daily
decisions.

People need to understand that as long as they consider posting fixes to
be important, and reviewing others fixes to be optional, only select
posts will be treated in a timely fashion. Just so we're clear, I for
one pretty consistently prefer posts that are:
- recent
- have SUnit tests
- have [et] tags
- have review tags
in that order. As a rule, I don't look at posts that nobody else has
looked at, because I take it to mean that nobody cares about it.

So anyone that wants to improve total throughput should write SUnit
tests or test or review posts that had been orphaned until that moment.

> > Though in the case of your specific fix, its been approved already.
>
> which one? The fix I was talking about was
> HorizScrollbarMissingLeftButton.1.cs. That cs fixes the missing left arrow
> button in the horizontal scrollbars (when menu-buttons on scrollbars are
> enabled). I just checked a Squeak3.6g-5423.image and didn't find it (The
> only methods the cs touchs is Scrollbar>>totalSliderArea. You can see the
> problem in the picture)

That's the one.

You're looking in the wrong place - the image is where your fix needs to
eventually get to. But the decisions are made on the list, and the only
(reasonable) way to see what posts are in what status is to use the
BFAV.
- Bring it up,
- load updates
- use the menu to show approved groups,
- put *tylim* in the "text in title or body" filter, and there you are.

So that fix will turn up in the update stream when Doug has time to send
out updates.

Daniel