[FIX][KCP] KCP-0102-extractVMFromSystDict ( [er] )

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Oct 3 09:49:55 UTC 2003

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > On another angle - if the object's responsibilities is more than
> > SmalltalkImage says, don't start renaming yet - tell us what
> > responsibilities it will have, and we'll find a good name. If we can't
> > find a good name, maybe the object is becoming too big.
>
> VM parameter, wm profiling, modules, image names, gc, modules,
> saves changes, version, memory hogs, startup item list, for the most
> important ones.

(Jumping in here without necessarily having all the info)

A small note regarding using "Squeak" instead of "Smalltalk" or
"SmalltalkImage" - one nice property of "Squeak" is that it is obvious
that these functions/methods *can* be very Squeak specific. And that is
IMHO good - should make porting easier:

1. Porting from other Smalltalk, say Dolphin to Squeak: Create a global
called Dolphin mirroring the similar responsibilities of "Squeak". Such
a "Dolphin" porting layer can be reused by other projects.

2. Similarly porting from Squeak to say Dolphin: Create a global/class
in Dolphin called "Squeak" and put any proper mapping methods in there.
It is very unlikely that ther is a global called "Squeak" in Dolphin.
And such a "Squeak" porting layer can be reused by other projects.

So in short - I like "Squeak" (making sure it can be very Squeak
specific).

regards, Göran