Generics

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Sat Oct 4 19:53:31 UTC 2003

On Samstag, Oktober 4, 2003, at 09:02  Uhr, Jim Benson wrote:

> The next argument that comes up is that the only way to really make
> sure
> that programs are 'correct' is by rigorous tests. In Squeakland you'll
> hear
> a lot about that, usually referred to as 'SUnit'. It seems like a more
> reasonable place to try to catch a party gone out of bounds. Of
> course, I'm
> not a test guy either ...

Or as I use to say:

Test driven developers who are using a statically typed language type
twice.

Tests need examples first.
The concrete types of instance variables and of method parameters are
clear
as soon as there are some tests - thus examples.

In my little toy prototype "Eg" on Squeakmap a little balloon-help
shows up over
tested methods and tells the concrete types of the parameters and even
of the result
(by simply executing the method, hoping that the test won't delete your
hard disc ;-) ).

Maybe I should rip this "concrete type displayer" (TM) out of "Eg" and
build it
into BrowseUnit?

We only needed some nice way to build, name and compose examples...

Markus