bug track with mantis?

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Mon Oct 6 16:23:43 UTC 2003

Lex Spoon wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
>>"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>>[SNIP]
>>
>>>But maybe Goran is going to come up with some magic any day now.  :)
>>>
>>>-Lex
>>
>>Two things:
>>
>>1. If we intend to use a "off the shelf"-non-Squeak bug tracker then I
>>would gladly recommend Mantis. Julian Fitzell recommended it to me (he
>>has done work on it, it is written in PHP) and we use it in one of our
>>projects here at Bluefish. Very neat and simple. I have hacked Jitterbug
>>earlier and used that - not as slick. Bugzilla is a big monster IMHO,
>>not nice.
>

> We can build our own tracker later, but right now we are in a sad state.
>  Anything would be vastly superior.
>
> If you think Mantis is good, maybe we should try it out!  Does anyone
> else have any thoughts?  Perhaps the Squeakfoundation server can be used
> for this?   For the DNS, either bugs.squeak.org or
> bugs.squeakfoundation.org would be good names.
>
> One thing that would be extremely nice is if we can have one bug log per
> "project" (and I use the term loosely).  For example, Scamper's bugs
> should not be mixed in with bugs in the Morphic kernel, ideally.  How
> hard is it to add a new bug track on Mantis?  Perhaps we could have the
> SqueakMap server automatically create the relevant areas whenever a new
> project is added?

Mantis has projects which group bugs.  They're easy to add - any user
with appropriate access permissions can do so.  I find Mantis to be
clean and fairly simple for technical people (which is probably fine in
this case) but it doesn't seem to be simple enough for non-tech-savvy
end-users.  Also, I haven't done any development on it in ages because I
just can't stand working in PHP these days :S - but I do know you would
definitely want to be using the newest release candidate in the 0.18.x
series instead of the 0.17.x release.

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)