Unit tests vs Assertions (was Generics)

Phil Hudson phil.hudson at iname.com
Tue Oct 7 17:00:34 UTC 2003

>Phil's heresy has taken a new direction of late, :-)

It's the devil makes me do it... :-)

>so here's a few
>thoughts on why I prefer SUnit tests over inline assertions for
>improving the quality of my code.

Excellent post, Colin. Very persuasive. I think I may have to change my
way of thinking. I can hear the creaking of unused gears in my brain
going into action. (Oh, it hurts, it hurts...)

I'm beginning to grok this dynamically-typed and incrementally-compiled
gestalt. Thanks to all for your patience, kindness and humor. I really do
want to get into something more productive than Java, that's why I'm
sticking with this Smalltalk thing.

<deep breath>Class means nothing. No explanatory or predictive power.
This is good. Interface does not exist. There is only implementation.
This is good.<exhales>

There. I said it.<breaks down and cries like a baby>