Unit tests vs Assertions (was Generics)

Göran Krampe goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Oct 7 19:26:15 UTC 2003

Citerat från Phil Hudson <phil.hudson at iname.com>:
> >Phil's heresy has taken a new direction of late, :-)
>
> It's the devil makes me do it... :-)

:-)

> >so here's a few
> >thoughts on why I prefer SUnit tests over inline assertions for
> >improving the quality of my code.
>
> Excellent post, Colin. Very persuasive. I think I may have to change my
> way of thinking. I can hear the creaking of unused gears in my brain
> going into action. (Oh, it hurts, it hurts...)
>
> I'm beginning to grok this dynamically-typed and incrementally-compiled
> gestalt. Thanks to all for your patience, kindness and humor. I really
> do
> want to get into something more productive than Java, that's why I'm
> sticking with this Smalltalk thing.
>
> <deep breath>Class means nothing. No explanatory or predictive power.
> This is good. Interface does not exist. There is only implementation.
> This is good.<exhales>
>
> There. I said it.<breaks down and cries like a baby>

Haha! I like you Phil. :-)

It's not an easy transition - but I assure you, of all people that know both
sides (the curly and the square side) an overwhelming percentage of them (all?)
prefers the square side.

Btw, IMHO interfaces exist in Smalltalk - just not very concretely. But it is
very true that inheritance/classes are all about implementation.

regards, Göran

Göran Krampe, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
Smalltalk - a place where objects live, not a language.