[Special Report] 3.6 is out, now what? :-)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 8 23:30:17 UTC 2003

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>   As I wrote somewhere, I still want the Diego's translation stuff to
> have the chained dictionary.  Otherwise, it should be relatively easy
> to merge Diego's stuff and rest of m17n stuff.
You talked a bit about the chained dictionaries stuff, but I didn't get
the gist of that or why its needed. Does it mean nested environments for
translations, with inheritance? how would this change the programmer's
model/api? this might be worth another thread...

>   Beware that I'm going to propose, (err, I propose) to switch to
;-)
> UTF-8 file out and latin-1 internal representation.  To maintain the
> backward compatibility, we would want to have different fileout
> suffixes.  (Also, I think that to increment classVersion of
> ImageSegment and to squeakToIso the strings in the segment is
> necessary.)
Does UTF-8 fileout format mean that fileing in old changeset will be
transparent? I seem to recall that ASCII is more or less legal UTF-8...

[cycle length]
I don't have an opinion between a 4 and 6 month cycle. However, I think
one thing we could do to prevent the rush we had at the end of 3.6alpha
is to talk a little earlier about thing that will probably not make the
deadline, so that everyone has time to respond.

I hope this is early enough to mention that if someone can please review
the NewLook code, that would be a big help to getting it included in
this release! :-)

[RB Parse node relicense]
More good news, I just got some code in the mail. I'll send an update after
I've taken a look.

Daniel