Package maintenance

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Oct 9 09:08:55 UTC 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Adam Spitz wrote:

>   - The ability to look at a code file (which can be a Monticello file;
> I don't care about raw changesets) and determine which PackageInfo-style
> packages it affects. (I suspect that Monticello can do this already.)
>
>   - The ability to take a code file and extract a *new* code file
> containing only the changes that affect a particular PackageInfo-style
> package.

Rather than these two, I would say the post to the list should contain a
separate file for each affected package.  Either that or we need a notion
of "bundle", because right now a .mcz file always relates only to a single
package at a time.  Well, we definitely need that (Mark Schwenk was
working on it...).  But we may not need it right away.

>   - A way to mail MC files to the list that's just as easy as using the
> ChangeSorter to mail off a changeset file. (Maybe the ChangeSorter could
> automatically send MC files instead of changesets whenever MC is
> installed and the changeset doesn't contain anything that MC can't
> model. Or maybe the Monticello Browser should just have a "mail to list"
> button. Whatever.)

Yeah - selecting one or more packages in the MC Browser and saying "mail
to list" should be easy enough.  Or, easier, there could be an SMTP
repository type that you could save to... this could be implemented in a
few minutes (have to be tomorrow, though, it's getting late here).

> We're not far from being able to implement something like this. And I
> think it would go a long way toward repairing the damage that we're
> doing by ripping all of these packages out of the image. :) With a
> system like this, the KCP or MCP guys would be able to work in a nice,
> Full image, make whatever sweeping changes they want, and mail them to
> the list, and the maintainers of all the affected packages would be
> automatically alerted and be able to incorporate the changes into their
> packages easily.

Yup.  Would be nice, wouldn't it?