[BUG] white is not white

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Oct 10 06:48:51 UTC 2003

ALR <alr.dev at free.fr> wrote
> Hi
>
> It seems that a white pixel does not have 255/255/255 rgb but 248/248/248
> (#f8/f8/f8)...
>
> To check it, make a morph with color: (Color white)
> and export it to a bmp file with the halo menu / export / BMP,
> then in GIMP (for example), you can check with the tools menu / color
picker
> (? 'pipette à couleurs' in french)
> that all background is 248/248/248 (...and very slooow printing).
>

> Is it by design or a bug ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments

Hi Alain,

I tried what you described, and here are my findings:

1. When I used Squeak 3.4 with color depth 16 to create a BMP
or a JPEG file, white was indeed replaced by a very light gray.

2. When I changed the display depth of Squeak to  32
(you do this with world menu >appearance > set display depth)
and repeated the experiment, I found that white remains white.

Can you please check this?

So I think that this is a conversion problem.

Greetings, Boris