SmallWiki in Squeak

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 11 19:09:27 UTC 2003

>> Cees de Groot ported the model code from SmallWiki, and used it to
>> build a
>> Seaside-based Wiki called Gardner.  This is available from SqueakMap:
>
> May be a boring question: what means "model code" ? Is it a fraction
> of Small Wiki, or is it all of the important parts of Small Wiki .....
> ?

The object representation of a page or document: in SmallWiki page are
not text treated using regexpr but real objects.
So ***everything*** is an object. Therefore we have the complete power
to navigate within these objects and use visitor to render, check
validate the structure of the wiki. You can also extend SmallWiki in a
much more easily way than Swiki (at ESUG people reported that Swiki
extension was really difficult).

Our objectives are to provide a framework in which people can customize
their wikis the way they want with the minimal effort, to develop wiki
components that can be plugged into a wiki, to provide wiki component
for wiki management (such as give me all the page containing more than
3 attachements). Lukas built for example a button that create a
glossary of a complete wiki in 10 minutes.) Right now the last point is
weak becase we focused on the infrastructure and design with several
refactorings. SmallWiki has configurations so that you can declare the
components you want to use in a page and you can specify using css how
these components should be rendered. The idea is that SmallWiki page or
folder can have different component. For example luaks is used to have
a style for presentations that are run as SmallWiki page, or a page
showing online the results of running the SmallWiki tests. These are
just different configurations of components.

Stef