SmallWiki in Squeak

Hans Nikolaus Beck HNBeck at t-online.de
Sat Oct 11 21:50:56 UTC 2003

Hi Stefane,

thank you (and of course all others) for information. If I would say
I've all understood I would lying ;-) But I think  looking at the code
will help.

For me, Wiki's are are interesting thing for issue tracking, where
issue may be bugs, requirements or documentation. For the first step I
worked with Zwiki, a Zope based form of a Wiki. From this, I identified
some (personal) basic requirements for using a Wiki in software
engineering (to be understood  as  hypothesis):

- - Wikis makes it easy to create information chaos, if there are no good
mechanisms to avoid it
- - Wikis have big potential in collaborative enviroments, but there is a
great danger that they become useless after short time of usage
- - From this point, Wikis usage should have not too much an not to less
rules (workflow)
- -  The easy information model of wikis should be reflected by easy usage
- - Visualization,  tracking and workflow / rules are key parts for
success  of  wiki usage in software engineering
- - information only has existence if it is recorded AND if it is easily
accessable (sounds trivial but is so hard to implement) - like a book
in a library which was set in the wrong shelf.....

Because I think about Zope as a powerful but complicated tool, I hope a
Smalltalk wiki will make it easer to make my dream true of a simple,
collaborative collecting and organizing information manager 8-)))

Greetings

Hans