Stack Morph (was: [bug] Connectors or Stack Morph?)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sun Oct 12 23:27:53 UTC 2003

At 9:17 AM -0700 10/12/03, David Faught wrote:
>Hi Alan,
>
>Alan Kay wrote:
>>Hi Folks --
>>
>>The stack Morph stuff was an experiment. The next version of things
>>like stacks will not use this technique -- in part because one really
>>wants to be able to see and deal with more than one card at a time.
>>We think "cards" are the most important part of this, etc. In any
>>case, this experiment is not being carried forward ....
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Alan
>
>If by "the next version of things"

My phrase was "the next version of things like stacks"

>  you are referring to the impending
>Croquet,

I wasn't.

>  then I won't have to worry about it for a while.  None of the
>machines that I have will run it in any reasonable fashion (at least
>based on the preliminary stuff that was available).

Actually it ran quite well on a large number of machines, but they
did require a working version of OpenGL and a reasonable graphics
accellerator (but that's the whole point of Croquet).

>   If you are
>referring to the underlying Squeak image for Croquet, and significant
>rewrites of things that might be usable without the 3D interface, then
>I have to wonder how that image will ever get reconciled with the
>current Squeak development stream, or if it implicit that they will be
>different.

I wasn't. I was refering to "the next version of things like stacks"
that we are working on....