Tests were are you?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Oct 13 16:56:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:11:04PM +0200, ducasse wrote:
> Tell us what you think on that. I have the impression that we could
> raise the level of awareness of the tests by some
> simple actions. We could then also have some nice conventions that are
> so dead simple to follow that we would have
> regularity in names and clarity in Tests.

One thing I don't like with an image that has all tests loaded are
two things:

1) TestRunner. It shows thousands of tests (actually only 488 ;-)), but
   I'm only interested in the tests for my projects. And I don't want
   to run all tests explicitly: It just takes to much time. (But this
   could happen automatically in the backround... the idea of automatic
   continous testing is a nice one).

   We should look into partitioning the tests in a more intelligent
   way (e.g. at Package-boundaries "run all tests for Package XY").

2) The Browser. The Tests-package adds a companion category to
   every class-category in the system. That adds a lot of
   noise....

   The browser allready hides a complete second hierarchy (the
   metaclases). We switch between them using the "class" Button.
   Maybe we could hide the tests in a similar way... BrowseUnit
   allready is a step into that direction.

   (Here we need to think about examples... if we provide easy
    access to tests, we should do the same for the examples
    that the tests are based upon.... (c.f Markus Gaelli's Eg))

    Another thing (not related to test that much): We really need
    to think about is making packages more explicit: "These Classes
    are a package and depend on those other packages". The Browser
    should show this, and I think it should be more explicit than
    only naming conventions... some kind of "Package-info-aware"
    Browser is really needed.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de