Squeak support : Unicode

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Oct 14 13:03:44 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> Squeak is currently supporting 8-bit bitmap fonts and working with these
> fonts for INdian languages is really misguiding.Is there a way that I can
> use Unicode fonts in Squeak?

  Funny you mention this.  Looking at your post, you just subscribe
this list, right?  A few hours ago, I posted a link to 'Squeak m17n
(multilingualization) package'.

  'Use Unicode font' and support indian scripts are quite different
issues.  With this m17n package, you can *use* Unicode, but so far no
one have implemented the rendering logic for those languages (nor the
point-on-screen-to-string mapping).

  If you decide to move forward with this m17n package, all you have
to write is the logic that render the logical string of characters
into the specified extent of bitmap, and get the index in the string
when a point in the form is given.

-- Yoshiki