[m17n] m17n package for 3.6-5424

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Oct 15 00:48:53 UTC 2003

  Andreas,

> Installed it and it works like a charm! Seriously, this is one excellent
> piece of work.

  Thank you!

> I have to say I do like the internal package refactorings
> you've done a lot - they really help to understand what is involved in the
> different areas and make it much easier to assess the overall implications
> (e.g., the "units of changes" seem about right to me - each of the CS'
> addresses a fundamental issue and the changes can be evaluated together).
> Very, very nice.
>
> BTW, looking at it, it seemed very close to being ready for prime-time (the
> only nitpick I had is that apparently the UTF-8 encodings for umlauts and
> accents are wrong but that's certainly not your fault and easy enough to fix
> for those people who care about it ;-)

  Oh-uh, the UTF-8 encodings are wrong?  What is the symptom?

> so can you say a bit more what you think still needs to be done?

  * Reach a consensus on the file out extension/header issue.  This is
    essential to make it *fixable* when it is in the main stream.

  * Font/script unload.

  * Load .pr files with MacRomans.  I was thinking that adding
    #classVersion to String class and
    #convertToCurrentVersion:refStream: to String would do it, but I
    realized that the latter doesn't get the classVersions of old and
    new objects.  Probably, I go ahead and modify #verifyStructure.

-- Yoshiki