[ANN] SM2 pre-alpha

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 15 01:20:37 UTC 2003

Hi everyone. Executing the following load script should allow you to
test/get a feel for the new SM2 client. Using a throwaway image is
probably in order.

SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'VersionNumber'.
SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'MCInstaller'.
SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'Monticello'.
MczInstaller installStream: (HTTPClient httpGet:
'http://modules.squeakfoundation.org/People/dvf/Packages/SMBase-dvf.14.m
cz').
MczInstaller installStream: (HTTPClient httpGet:
'http://modules.squeakfoundation.org/People/dvf/Packages/SM-Loader-dvf.7
.mcz').
SMSqueakMap clear.
"Now delete the sm subdirectory for the image you're running this on"
SMLoader open.

The whole story -
Goran and I have agreed to create an SM2 client that works with the old
SM1 servers as a stepping stone to SM2. This provides us with package
releases, which means that if you have this client installed, you can
install old releases of any package (*). This also lets you execute
loadscripts that specify the version of the package wanted, like this -
(SMSqueakMap default installerForPackage: ((SMSqueakMap default
packageWithName: 'BFAV ') releaseWithVersionString: '1.26')) install

The idea behind this release is to provide releases early, so that we
can eliminate spurious package forks and start experimenting with the
better packaging practices this makes practical (versioned loadscripts).
It also provides a few benefits from using the SM2 client code, like a
local package cache. The full benefits of SM2 (accounts, release
editing, centralized package cache...) we will get when the server code
is also ready.

(*) About what history is available: currently we display whatever was
available from the current logs, which used to get truncated every 6
months or so,. From now on, the logs will never be truncated, so all
future versions will be retained. Note that releases are made distinct
on version strings, so that typo fixes won't clutter the release lists.

So please try this out and provide feedback. I'll put up an SM package
for this after I get some oks that this process works on other peoples
machines, too.

Daniel