[BUG][Monticello] MCReader DNU #extension

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 15 09:08:11 UTC 2003

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In a 3.7-5420 image, I executed "FileList initialize" after installing
>the Monticello and MCReader packages.  Whenever I try to bring up a
>menu in a FileList, I get a walkback in FileList class>>itemsForFile:
>because MCReader (one of the classes registered by "FileList
>initialize") does not implement #extension).
>
>I'm not sure what the fix should be.  I manually removed MCReader from
>the list of registered classes, which seems to work, but obviously
>isn't acceptable.

I've just published a version of Monticello that should workaround this
problem, by making sure that only concrete subclasses of MCReader
actually return any services.  However, from my point of view this is a
problem with FileList class>>initialize - it's registering classes based
on whether they implement a particular method, which breaks in cases
like MCReader where it's only the subclasses that know how to do
anything useful.  Why does it need to do this auto-registering at all?