X11 Server for Squeak!

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Oct 18 02:46:00 UTC 2003

Hello all,

kirtai in #squeak tonight brought to my attention a very interesting
package on SqueakMap, called "X Windows System Server."  I hadn't heard
much on the list about this, so I gave it a try- and was surprised that
while most stuff didn't work, xterm did!

This package has a ton of potential, and I'm surprised to see it not a hot
topic on the list.

I suppose the point of this post is to let anyone else interested in
"Living out of Squeak" that this project exists *and* to let those working
on the project (Ian, and perhaps others?) that I'm very excited about
this!

  A functional X server for Squeak would allow many things- in my case, it
would allow me to make Squeak my entire GUI environment, running it
directly on the framebuffer on Linux, and running Mozilla Firebird within
Squeak using this X Server.  After all, I can do pretty much everything
with the tools we have now in Squeak- excepting a web browser, for which I
rely on the host OS.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere